Travel by bike
For students arriving by bike we provide a limited number of cycle hoops where bicycles can be locked up securely; it is intended that students use this facility whilst they are in school all day. CHS South encourages a responsible and a pro-active approach to bicycle security within school and the wider community. We advise that students:
- Lock the bike to an immovable object (not to a friend’s bike) with a good quality lock
- Make a record of the frame number (usually dye stamped by the manufacturer under the pedal hub) and keep it in a safe place
- Keep other types of ‘proof of ownership’ like receipts or even a digital picture of the bike
- Try not to bring a bike with quick release features such as wheels and saddles
- Make a note of the make, colour(s), frame size, wheel size and any distinguishing features such as suspension and disc brakes
Bicycles at CHS South are left at the owner’s risk whilst on school property, but we feel that by taking the precautions outlined above, students can reduce that risk to an acceptable level.
Travel by bus
If your child plans to use public transport to travel to and from CHS South they should apply for an Igo pass. 5 to 16 year olds can apply for an Igo pass, which costs £10 and allows them to travel at concessionary fare on buses, trains and trams in Greater Manchester. Passes can be obtained by visiting your local TfGM Travelshop and collecting an application form; locations of TfGM travelshops can be found at www.tfgm.com. If your child lives 3-15 miles from CHS South or is looked after or has a statement of special educational needs they may qualify for a free travel pass; you must apply for this directly from your Local Authority.
The Number 25 bus stop on Mauldeth Road West is staffed by senior staff at the end of school, to ensure that students get on the bus safely with due regard to members of the public. The school prides itself on the good relationships with the bus operating companies. Students need to remember that they are representing the school whilst on the buses and that they should behave in a respectful and appropriate manner.
Travel by car
Parents are reminded that for safety reasons students travelling by car must arrange to be dropped off and collected outside the school grounds and not in the immediate surrounding area of the school entrances and exits.