We provide a wide range of different options through our extensive school catering service. The aim is to give students a wide variety of choice and to cater for different dietary needs.
If you want to get the best value for money in the canteen, we have the following initiatives to help:
- Free breakfast provided from 8am each day to all students
- Free porridge served at breaktime
- Slim sandwich available for 50p, or a soup and a sandwich deal for £1
- Meal deal costing £2.40 served on our hot meal counter, which includes the hot meal of the day, a drink and a biscuit/cake
- Free fruit
Water fountains (students will need to provide a water bottle)
Don’t forget that by accessing School Gateway you can see what your child has bought to eat and drink each day.
FREE SCHOOL MEALS
WHO ARE FREE SCHOOL MEALS FOR?
FREE SCHOOL MEALS ARE FOR CHILDREN WHO:
- Live in the City of Manchester (The area covered by Manchester City Council); and
- Go to school (not a day nursery or children’s centre) in Greater Manchester (Manchester, Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford or Wigan).
FREE SCHOOL MEALS ARE PROVIDED FOR:
- School students up to the age of 16;
- and Students who go to a school sixth form
If you live outside of the City of Manchester, but your child goes to a Manchester school, please contact your local council.
Free School Meals are not usually available for children who go to independent (private) schools.
WHO CAN GET FREE SCHOOL MEALS?
You can claim Free School Meals for a child who lives with you and who you are responsible for (for example, you receive benefit for them) as long as you get one of these qualifying incomes:
- Income support
- Income based jobseeker allowance
- Pension credit (Guarantee credit)
- Income related employment and support allowance
- Child tax credit (CTC) as long as you are not getting an amount for childcare paid with your CTC, or getting working tax credit. HM Revenue and Customs must also have worked out your household income as £16,190 a year or less
- A universal credit
- A working tax credit ‘run-on’ payment for four weeks after stopping work or reducing working hours to under 16 hours a week
HOW TO CLAIM FREE SCHOOL MEALS?
Due to the change in the benefit systems, Free School Meals entitlement lists will no longer be issued
to school. The new Free School Meal app will shortly be available and it is the parents
responsibility to apply online via this app. The information will be checked and verified to confirm that
your child is entitled to FSM and school will be notified.
You can apply for free school meals using the following web address: